Hello, Happy Sunday to you! Are you having a nice weekend? I'd love to hear what you've been doing. It's autumn here....the days are crisp and there's quite a chill in the air so I have been pottering around the kitchen making warm comfort food for my family.
Everyone I'm sure has their own favourite version of pumpkin soup and no doubt they are all delicious (I am hard pressed to find a soup that I don't like, especially pumpkin! I'm easily pleased. lol) so I thought I'd share our Country House family favourite with you too.
Homestyle Pumpkin Soup:
1.5kg pumpkin (peeled, seeded & diced)
1 large brown onion
3 cloves garlic
1 litre chicken stock
3/4 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper to taste
butter and olive oil
Prepare pumpkin. Dice onion and garlic. Saute onion and garlic in a little oil and butter until transparent (I like mine a little bit browned and nutty, but then again I'm a little nutty too. lol)
Add chopped pumpkin and saute with onion and garlic for a few minutes just to coat the pumpkin with all that deliciousness.
Pour 1 litre of chicken stock into the pot, bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Once pumpkin is tender laddle into blender (or use a stick blender if you have one. I can't find mine since we moved house!) Depending on how big your blender is, I blend mine in 2-3 batches.
Pour blended pumpkin back into pot adding cream, pepper and nutmeg.
Serve as is with hot buttered rolls or as in our case today, fresh baked bread lavished with lashings of butter (and take heart that swimsuit season is at least 6 months away! Then dive headlong into denial for the winter season. I mean hey, what's a few curves amongst friends?) To be even curvier, serve with a good dollop of sour cream.
Enjoy!
Love Amanda (aka Curvy Contessa!) lol
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The soup sounds so yummy. It is so fun to hear about your seasons. It makes me realize as the sun is coming our way, it is leaving your area. Have a blessed day!
Post a Comment