Hi girls! Since it's a gorgeous crisp autumn day here out here in the Queensland countryside, I thought I'd take you for a walk down to the wood chopping area where my husband has been preparing the wood for us to burn on the cold nights ahead. The locals tell me it gets to 5 below during winter. It doesn't snow where we are, but it gets pretty cold I hear. A lot colder than where we used to live near the beach!
Anyhoo! I wanted to show you my new cream and black toile wellington boots. Aren't they just the cutest? Just what I need for wandering around our property during the winter collecting eggs and such.
And of course since I never go any where alone for my posse is always with me...
I'd like to introduce you to my girls. Just after Christmas we bought six 4 day old chicks, and well, me being me I had to name them (sadly this trait runs in the family. You should hear the names my sister has for their cows! lol).....here we have Honey Chicken, Apricot Chicken, Satay Chicken, Keiv Chicken..
and here's Parmigiana Chicken and Coq au vin. These are not meat chickens and we are not going to eat them (how could I? I am their mamma! lol) but I do like to name my 'pets' names that make people laugh when they come over to our house. These little ladies are about 16 weeks old and should start laying in a few weeks.....I hope!
This little lady here is Apricot. She is the boss and the ring leader. If there's trouble underfoot, then she's the cause of it that's for sure! Many a time she has escaped and I have had to entice her home, leading her down the road back to our property while throwing outs bits of bread to her like a Hansel and Gretel trail....even in the pouring rain. See how she thinks that she can sit up on MY table where I sit and drink my coffee sometimes? Ooohhhh, she's naughty! lol
Tia TuTu (with the pink tongue) and LuLu La Rue love the chickens, and I do believe that they believe that they actually are chickens too. Sometimes I think the chickens think they are dogs! Or maybe I just need to get out more. lol
And after Tia, LuLu and I have gone upstairs and into the house....who do we find sitting up on the back porch......
and looking at us through the kitchen screen door?
Tia just worries that they will somehow get inside and chase her around pecking at her like they do outside. Poor darling, look at that worried face! lol So cute.
I hope you enjoyed meeting my girls. I know they would love to all meet you in person.....our chickens are, er, VERY friendly!
Take care,
Amanda xxx
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










2 comments:
YAY! Awesome post!! You got the mojo back, Amanda :)
I love, love your chicks!! And the pups are till adorable!!
Thank for a sweet post!
xo, misha
Your chickens are so cute! We had a dozen Rhode Island Red hens when I was in high school. They produce the best brown ages. My mom just loved watching them and feeding them yummy stuff. Her and my dad had so much fun with those chickens. Thank you for your sweet comment and visiting my blog. God bless you!
Post a Comment